Could a Yearly Physical Exam Save Your Life?
Maintaining proper physical health can help you live your healthiest and best life. Regular wellness check-ups are essential for identifying symptoms promptly. Without them, you risk falling prey to serious health conditions. This blog post will share the importance of annual physical exams and how to prevent and treat common illnesses.
What is a physical exam, and why is it important?
An annual physical exam is a head-to-toe assessment of any issues or disorders that could be overlooked if not done regularly. At this appointment with your primary care provider, you will discuss all aspects of your health.
During the exam, we do a preventative check for:
- Age-appropriate cancer screenings
- Chronic disease screening
- Support to achieve optimal weight
- Hormone optimization
- Sexual health assessment
- Mental health screening
Regular physical exams can help to find health problems before they start. In addition, they can also help to find problems early, when your chances for treatment and cure are better. Physical exams are also crucial for tracking your progress towards your wellness goals.
Here are some additional reasons to book a physical exam with a functional medicine primary care provider:
- Annual checkups help you to assess risk for future health issues. When you get a physical exam, your provider can identify signs of disease that could cause future problems. They can then offer treatments to help alleviate symptoms and stop any harmful conditions in their tracks. For example, if you show signs of prediabetes or insulin resistance, we can prescribe dietary changes to help manage insulin levels in the body.
- Your primary care provider can assist you in the creation of a wellness routine that is tailored to your specific needs. Healthcare professionals use different types of techniques and treatments to help you live a healthy lifestyle. At OnePeak Medical, we offer various services to complement your mission toward optimal health. Two great examples include nutrition and fitness consulting and hormone balancing.
- Your functional medicine provider can administer any tests or screenings needed to diagnose a condition. Depending on your risk factors, age, lifestyle, and family history, your primary care physician can assess what conditions you are most at risk for and perform the appropriate screenings and tests to ensure your overall wellness.
- Physical exams are important for addressing gender-specific health concerns. Different stages of life require different testing to monitor and manage overall health. Common screenings and tests include STI (sexually transmitted infection) test, PAP smears, and colon cancer screens.
How do I prevent and treat common illnesses?
Cultivating healthy habits is the best way to prevent and treat the most common illnesses. Here are ten tips to ensure you are headed down the well path and steer clear of the sick path.
- Make healthy food choices and maintain a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Take recommended supplements to replace any nutrient deficiencies.
- Incorporate exercise into your wellness routine.
- Manage your blood sugar levels.
- Eat a diet that is low in processed foods and sugar.
- Ensure you’re getting the appropriate amount and type of protein.
- Get a good night’s sleep every night (7 or more hours per night).
- Quit smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
- Know your family history and get screenings for any illnesses or conditions you may have a predisposition to.
- Get a yearly physical exam (they’re 100% covered by insurance).
Where do I find primary care in Oregon?
At OnePeak Medical, we offer patients a unique care model that integrates traditional care and functional medicine. At any OnePeak location, you can meet with one of our dedicated primary care providers to cultivate a wellness routine that fits your needs. Book online to set your health and wellness goals into motion.